License Application Procedures
One or both parties to be married must appear in person with proper identification (driver's license, birth certificate, military ID or passport, etc) for both parties and give, under oath, the following information:
- Full name of each party.
- Place of residence of each party.
- The age of each party.
- State or Country of Birth.
- *Social Security Numbers for each party are required.
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, in which degree of the relationship.
- The marital status of each party - Single (never married), Divorced or Widowed.
- If previously married, Applicant must provide the complete final date of divorce, or if widowed, the complete date of death, where applicable.
- Applicant must sign application.
Social Security Numbers
*The license application provides for the mandatory disclosure of Social Security numbers of both parties. Social Security numbers are required by law and will not print on the marriage application. If applicant is a foreign national and does not have a social security number, the applicant must be present and sign an affidavit.
At the time of application, a license fee of $70 must be paid by either cash, credit card or money order. (Personal Checks are not accepted.)
An individual 16 or 17 years old may not marry unless:
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian
- One of the parties to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian and
- Either party to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
Performed Mondays through Fridays, 9 a.m. to Noon at the Clerk's Office located in the Circuit Court Annex, in Upper Marlboro. The fee is $25, paid by either cash, credit card or money order immediately prior to the ceremony. Civil ceremony appointments are not necessary. Civil ceremonies are performed on a First Come First Serve basis. Exchange of rings is optional. Guests and cameras are welcome. You must have applied for and obtained a valid Marriage License at least 2 days prior to the ceremony.
Replacement licenses may be obtained, during the 6 month period the original license is valid, for a fee of $10.