Property of a Minor

Maryland law provides that a guardian shall be appointed if the court determines that a minor owns or is entitled to property that requires management or protection or funds are needed for his support, care, welfare, and education and protection is necessary or desirable to obtain or provide funds. (Estates and Trusts13-201(b)).

The need for such a guardian generally arises when a minor inherits money or receives money in connection with a civil lawsuit.

The Petition for Guardianship of a Disabled Adult is not the appropriate form for this action. The Petition for the Guardian of the Property of a Minor is not provided on the Maryland Courts website but can be obtained from the Civil Clerk's Office or the Trust Office.

Reporting Requirements
A guardian of the property of a minor is subject to the same reporting requirements set forth above for guardians of the property of disabled adults.